Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Family, Friends and Fashion

Live Well
Laugh Much
Love Often

I have regretably been a rather neglectful blogger through this crazy process. I have managed to keep in check with my timeline on all the other aspects of my collection. Well, c'est la vie! Im blogging now (she types with a grin on her face) and although I only have a few weeks till parade, this is by far the most exciting (and insane) bit so best to be blogging now anyway!

In this post I have decided to acknowledge what makes me, well, me! No doubt anyone who knows me will know that I have a slight love affair with being the centre of attention...not in a precocious way (I hope!) but rather, in a fabulous way...I am a fashion student after all!

In high school I was a drama student and from childhood I always wanted to be an actress. I had many obsessions...I believe at age 11 I wanted to be a dog breeder...at 16 I wanted to be a back-up dancer for Janet Jackson. At 18 I moved to the US to work as an Au Pair in America where I lived in Connecticut and New York for over a year. At 22 I moved to London to work in a pub and travel around Europe. You could say I have long been a drifter. The one thing that has remained a constant in my life however has been fashion.

For as long as I can remember having conscience thought I have loved fashion. As a child my mum tells me it was quite common for me to have up to 4, even 5 outfit changes in a day. I would style my dolls, my friends...even my mum...who has little fashion sense (and this doesn't seem to bother her?!)
I cant imagine a world without fashion!



This is me with my Nanna when I was 6. Even now at age 92 she always takes the time to look her best. She taught me to always match my handbag and shoes and to blot my lip stick on a tissue. She would paint my nails in a clear polish as a special treat - my mum didn't like me to wear nail polish!

Showing off my party dress for my 7th Birthday. This remains perhaps one of my most favourite dresses ever! For me there is somthing magical about putting on a new dress! My birthday is in April and always a little cool...I remeber thinking there couldn't be a more perfect dress in all the world! This one had three layers of petticoats and a beautiful silk satin black sash...divine!


Even bush walking in 1989 was done with flair and style. The ubiquitous 1980's Ra Ra dress and matching coloured shoe laces seems a little over the top for bush walking but I guess that sum's me up really...a young woman with a sense of adventure and a sense of style! : ) My brother (complete in this picture with plastic sword to cut through the path - a must when bush walking in the late 80's) has, thankfully, moved on from puff paint T Shirts.


By the time I was 14 I was very aware of the fact that my small allowance would not handle my need for clothes. Thus I started working at McDonalds as early as federal law would allow. By 16 I was able to go on my first shopping trip to Melbourne. It was 1999 and Kookai wasn't even in Adelaide! My best friend worked at Hungry Jacks and though I cant believe it now, our parents allowed us to go by ourselves! We saved our penny's and paid for our own flights, accomodation and of course shopping! I still love to display all my purchases on my bed to look over fondly after a really great shopping trip!







Since 2007 I have been with my wonderful partner in life Jon. We both share a love of the ocean and a keen sense of adventure. We have a deep connection with the South Australian coast line and an ongoing love affair with the beautiful island of Bali. Although Jon loves cars and I love couture, I think it's our opposites that keep each other balanced!

Relaxing on a quiet beach in northern Bali...far away from Kuta Beach!!



This is a favourite picture of mine - Jon and his two best mates after a surf up in Indonesia.

As I have gotten older, traveled, changed jobs, made new friends and lost old ones, I have learnt that it is just so important to make the most of everyday and to be grateful for what I have been blessed with. That sounds rather poncy and spiritual but it is just so true! I wont pretend to not be a 'drama queen' on occasion (okay, rather frequently) but I think I balance that out with a well earned lust for life. Im not a hippy, I'm just a girl whose grateful for what she's got!

I keep this quote on my fridge:

Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart

-Unknown












































































No comments:

Post a Comment