Saturday, October 23, 2010

Why things take so long (or, my name is Julia and I am a perfectionist)



I suffer from perfectionism in a fairly extreme way...this can be a good thing when wanting to be in fashion, particularly in design and production. However, it does mean that sometimes things can take ALOT longer than they need too! I tend to include design features in my pieces that require alot of attention to detail. Before I get on with my sewing for the day (and I really mean it this time ), here is an insight into why things often take me so long.




Toile of palazzo suit pants...waaay to wide...there's palazzo and then there's just crazy.




Fitting the jacket....I wanted a really fitted look but it was made more complicated and time consuming because of all the design lines.





Jacket placket width had to perfect! It is a faux placket but still needs to be exact.






Cutting out long bias strips at home can be annoying...oh for a big huge pattern table....pretty please Jon?



Again, our dining room table just isn't quite big enough. Our lounge/dining room area is full of light though and is lovely to work in.








Design for mini kaftan in golden orange silk cotton blend...each 1mm (0.5cm) knife pleat has to be indivually pressed and sewn in...


My beloved domestic iron passed on to me from mum...definietly not as good as an industrial but it is great for pressing these tiny seams.





It took ALOT of experimentation before finally perfecting my current technique to get these knife pleats straight and perfect. And alot of practise. And alot of fabric, equalling more $. But you cant put a price on perfectionism! : )






My chaotic sewing room!

No comments:

Post a Comment